They eventually become ATHEIST and make fun of EVERYTHING sacred
You know, I knew I shouldn’t have ever gotten involved in this, but I saw a post in my email feed for mormonism a long time ago (like…the beginning of the month) and it was about that familiar idea: people can leave the church but not leave it alone. And of course, the blogger kittywaymo insisted that all of the ex-mormons she knew was unhappy, spiteful, angry, depressed, and insisted upon regularly trying to bring happy, righteous Mormons down with them. After all, misery loves company.
I knew I shouldn’t have gotten involved…because I just have a private sense for internete trolling, but my better side prevailed against my skeptic side, and I tried to point out why many ex-Mormons do not leave the church alone. Quite simply, it’s a deep culture, so if they have been burned by that culture, they will deal with the wounds and blisters for a while. Some get over that faster than others.
Saying that ex-Mormons are unhappy is an attribution flaw. It’s not that leaving the church makes you unhappy (although there are some people who just do it wrong and mess up their lives…same with anything in life). Rather, these guys are already unhappy because of the church, so they leave it. They still struggle because they may have family and friends who are Mormon, or they have to see that the Mormon church, ever ubiquitous, fights against them or against their rights politically (I’m looking at you, Prop 8). Mormons still preach and proselytize and make themselves known, so you don’t “leave it alone” so easily, depending on what your reasons were in the first place.
I tried to present things simply, but I don’t think I really got through…It seemed that throughout, Kittywaymo still believed all ex-mormons to be angry, spiteful and unsuccessful (even challenging all readers to present a CV of a successful ex-mormon, which is about the time I started to realize I was fighting a losing war!) or, even worse, that all exxies are anti-.
But in her latest comment (I’m unsure if I should comment again because…this ship is nearly sunk), she had much more interesting accusations.
1) Ex-mormons have no sense of humor and are particularly litigious
2) The Mormon Church will always make your life HAPPY and BETTER and leaving will always make you miserable and angry and demented.
3) In fact, these angry, miserable, loveless ex-Mormons will become…oh my goodness…ATHEISTS! and will make fun of EVERYTHING sacred!
4) Ex-Mormons are prejudiced against Jews, blacks, and yes, even gays! I need to read more of their trash about my race and realize that really, the Mormons have it right.
5) As a journalist, you know everything. So that’s why kittywaymo is Definitely Correct about exmormons and Mormons. I need to wait 20 years and get more journalist experience and understand the plain and simple truths, because now I’m too young (but kittywaymo was once there, so she understands!)
6) Don’t buy into exmo rhetoric! They are not anti-mo, but exmo rhetoric can turn you anti.
7) Ex-mos are lazy; they expect ENTITLEMENT. Most of them didn’t put a single thing into their testimonies, serving others, loving. 10 years of journalistic research shows they were caught up in sexual sin and dishonesty (a shoutout to Cr@ig too, I think)
I don’t know where she got the idea that I was going into journalism…and I don’t think she realizes that I’m one of the terrible ex-mormons she speaks of. But it’s clear, everyone…I need to stop being so naive about people that leave the Mormon Church.
…what is this i don’t even…
I don’t even know what to say.